Description

My photo
Glasgow, Scotland
Words are formed by experiences, and words inform our experiences. Words also transform life and the world. I am a writer and Presbyterian minister who grew up in the 1960's in the segregated South of the United States. I've lived in Alaska, the Washington, DC area, and Minnesota. Since 2004 I've lived in Glasgow, Scotland, where I enjoy working on my second novel and serving churches that are between one thing and another. I advocate for the full inclusion of all people in the church and in society, whatever our genders or sexual orientations. Every body matters.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tithing


Tithing

A leaf in the back of my first childhood diary records my tithing of my allowance. It was simple arithmetic: A dollar earned meant a dime was put into the offering plate at church. I’ve been tithing ever since.

In college one of my classmates—an economics major who went on to become a market analyst–told me a nifty way to record the charges on my newly-acquired gas-station credit card: Write down each transaction in my checkbook register, like a check, and deduct the amount from the balance. Then when I got my credit card statement I’d have the exact amount in my checking account to pay it off in full and on time.

I have rarely paid interest on a credit card. The only long-term debts I have undertaken were two student loans (my parents repaid the one for college, and I repaid the one for graduate school) and two consecutive home mortgages (the first one came with a divorce, and the second one came with a marriage).

I once borrowed against one of my retirement accounts to pay off debts incurred by the person who I refer to as “my legal affair”—Myleaf, for short. I paid back the loan promptly, and Myleaf paid me back over time, with interest, finishing off with a check signed by a third party. The repayment schedule was for longer than the relationship. Bottom line: I realized my net worth as distinct from my self-worth, and after forgiving both sets of debts I was left with my self-worth as well as my net worth intact.

Money, for me, has never been an issue; it’s been a substance. Like starter dough, ten percent off the top is given to the church and charitable organizations. Which frees me to live with plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment