Description

My photo
Glasgow, Scotland
Words are formed by experiences, and words inform our experiences. Words also transform life and the world. I am a writer and Presbyterian minister who grew up in the 1960's in the segregated South of the United States. I've lived in Alaska, the Washington, DC area, and Minnesota. Since 2004 I've lived in Glasgow, Scotland, where I enjoy working on my second novel and serving churches that are between one thing and another. I advocate for the full inclusion of all people in the church and in society, whatever our genders or sexual orientations. Every body matters.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Ten Commandments for Loving Yourself


Ten Commandments for Loving Yourself

This is Your God speaking, the one who made You—and everything else:

1. I Am God, who brought You out of the place of shame and guilt: You shall have no other gods besides me.

2. Do not worship sex. Your sexuality is one of my many gifts to You, and it is to be enjoyed responsibly. I know it’s the small print required on alcohol ads but it’s true: pleasure and responsibility go together like good vibrations and paying the electric bill.

3. Do not promise to do something I did not create You to do. If You are gay, committing to a ‘straight’ relationship won’t change the way I made You.

4. Honor Your day off from work each week. Maintain good boundaries in the life I give You.

5. Honor the people who helped raise and care for You. If You had a bad childhood, deal with it maturely; don’t beat up on Yourself or take it out on others. Forgive Your former family and adopt a new one. I’m a big fan of adoption—just ask Jesus.

6. Do not abuse or try to destroy Your sexuality. Remember, it’s my gift for Your joy and delight.

7. Do not cheat on Your partner. Do not cheat on Yourself. If You feel caught between these two, something is wrong. Work it out.

8. Do not steal sex. If someone is too drunk to drive, they are too drunk to engage in sex.

9. Do not lie to Yourself about Your sexuality. Don’t worry about what other people assume.

10. Do not envy another’s person’s sexuality. Be comfortable in Your own skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment