Description

My photo
Glasgow, Scotland
Words are formed by experiences, and words inform our experiences. Words also transform life and the world. I am a writer and Presbyterian minister who grew up in the 1960's in the segregated South of the United States. I've lived in Alaska, the Washington, DC area, and Minnesota. Since 2004 I've lived in Glasgow, Scotland, where I enjoy working on my second novel and serving churches that are between one thing and another. I advocate for the full inclusion of all people in the church and in society, whatever our genders or sexual orientations. Every body matters.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

I run in the morning



I run in the morning

I run in the morning
face to face with the sun
rising out of bed
sometimes bleary-eyed and in a fog
hung-over from a long trip across the ocean
or bright-eyed and bushy-tailed
rip-roarin’ to go
full blazes

I turn
and the sun clocks me and my silent partner
(who’s a little slow in the winter
but manages to catch up in the summer)
as we seize the moment
and sprint between dawn and what the day holds
noticing the latter chase the former
or at least tag along behind it

I turn away
and the sun pores over my back
like a steadfast lover drinking in my every move
while time takes a nap
and my breath dissolves centuries of asceticism
preaching dust to dust
as my spirit ruach becomes flesh
and my flesh becomes fluid

I turn again
and the sun completes its orbit around me
a planet of salt water and vapor
and makes me for one exhilarating instant
this final stretch
this last leg
the center of its universe

I lap it up

No comments:

Post a Comment