Description

My photo
Glasgow, Scotland
Words are formed by experiences, and words inform our experiences. Words also transform life and the world. I am a writer and Presbyterian minister who grew up in the 1960's in the segregated South of the United States. I've lived in Alaska, the Washington, DC area, and Minnesota. Since 2004 I've lived in Glasgow, Scotland, where I enjoy working on my second novel and serving churches that are between one thing and another. I advocate for the full inclusion of all people in the church and in society, whatever our genders or sexual orientations. Every body matters.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Women who begat Jesus: Mary



Women who begat Jesus: Mary

The genealogy of Jesus, according to the gospel of Matthew, continues:
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man and his brothers,
at the time of the deportation to Babylon.
And after the deportation to Babylon:
that man was the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man,
and that man the father of a man the husband of Mary, a woman,
of whom Jesus was born, who is called the Messiah.

Something you may not know about my name, Mary: when Ruth’s mother-in-law Naomi returned home to Bethlehem after losing her husband and sons, her grief made her so unrecognizable that the women of Bethlehem had to ask, “Is this Naomi?!” 

She responded, “No longer call me Naomi”—which means “pleasant.” “Call me Mara”—which means “bitter”—“for God has dealt bitterly with me. I went away full, but God has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi when God has dealt harshly with me and brought calamity upon me?” (Ruth 1:19-21)

Well, my name, Mary, in the Hebrew language is the same as Naomi’s new name, Mara. It means “bitter” or “grieved.”  And yes, I was very bitter when I first discovered I was pregnant, without a husband.  Joseph, my betrothed, had every right to have me put to death. Like all the women before me, and many after me, I had no rights or protection anywhere on this earth.

According to one gospel community’s version of my story (Matthew 1), an angel of God came to Joseph in a dream and said, “Do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”

God is still saving us from the sins of patriarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment